Economic Assistance

Assistance Programs

Children's Special Health Services

Children's Special Health Services (formerly Crippled Children's Services): A state funded program administered by the county to identify, diagnose, and treat children who have congenital handicaps or other conditions resulting from injuries or illnesses. Eligible families must meet income guidelines.

ND Health Tracks (Formerly EPSDT)

A program of preventive health care directed to children who are eligible for medical assistance. Emphasis is on early diagnosis and treatment.

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (formerly AFDC):  A program to provide financial assistance to children, deprived of parental support, who are in need of money for food, shelter, clothing, and personal needs.

Food Stamps

A cooperative effort of County, State and Federal governments to assure proper nutrition for all eligible participants by increasing their food buying power.

Foster Care

A program whereby payment for room, board, supervision, clothing and personal needs can be made for children who cannot live with relatives, but in licensed foster homes.

General Assistance (GA)

The General Assistance Program is an emergency assistance program intended to meet basic maintenance needs of families in financial crisis, disabled adults, and burial of deceased poor persons.

Low Income Home Energy Program (LIHEAP)

A program to provide emergency and home energy assistance to eligible low income households to help defray the expense of fuel costs.

Medical Assistance (MA)

A program designed to assist individuals and families who do not have enough income to obtain health care. Within the guidelines of Medical Assistance, the Basic Care Assistance Program is a payment to subsidize the loss of care for eligible individuals in Basic Care Facilities or Adult Foster Care.

Child Care Assistance (CCA)

A federal program to provide financial assistance to low income families to meet their child care expenses resulting from employment, education or training.

Subsidized Adoption Payments